How can we help you...

Commemorative Plaques Record Details

William Meff (1861 - 1935)

Picture of the Palque

Location : 40 Fonthill Road

Area : Central Aberdeen

Plaque Type : Yellow

About William Meff : Lord Provost of Aberdeen. Born in Aberdeen in 1861, his father, also William, was a trawler owner. Both the younger William and his brother began their careers working in their father's business. Subsequently the two brothers set up their own highly successful firm, Meff Bros. He rose to become chairman and director of large number of harbour related firms, such as the Bon-Accord Ice Company and the Aberdeen Mutual and General Marine Insurance Company. He entered public life as a Harbour Commissioner (on which board he sat for 27 years) and subsequently was elected as Councillor for the then newly incorporated Torry Ward (1894-1911). For many years he was Shoremaster at a time of great harbour changes (such as the creation of Albert Basin and Victoria and Upper Docks) and has been called ‘maker of the Harbour'. In his later political career he held most of the high offices in Aberdeen, such as Dean of Guild, Treasurer and was twice Lord Provost. In his role as chief magistrate he oversaw many important changes to Aberdeen, including the purchase of Hazlehead Estate to form a park for the city.